Job Title: Director, Library Services*
Reports to: Vice Chancellor*
Location: Ashoka University Campus, Sonipat*
Experience : 18 years and above*
Nature of work: Full-Time*
About Ashoka University: Ashoka University is India’s premier interdisciplinary teaching and research university.
An institution that has become a beacon of academic excellence in less than 10 years since its inception.
At Ashoka, we encourage you to embrace the new, push the boundaries for continuous learning, and adapt to a
world of constant change Because we believe that each Ashokan is capable of becoming a thought leader.
As part of our thriving and committed workforce, you will Be Mission-Driven, Think Strategically, Act Authentically,
Take Accountability, Build Collaboration and Deliver Excellence. At Ashoka University, we are on a mission to
redefine higher education and create a remarkable space where innovation and collaboration thrive. As a
pioneering force in interdisciplinary learning, we continually grow and adapt to stay at the forefront of educational
excellence with emphasis on inclusivity and equal opportunity. Our philosophy revolves around care, well-being,
and connection, which are deeply embedded in everything we do. When you join our community, you become
part of an extraordinary journey in which you can unleash your potential and make a meaningful impact.
Where education empowers, where innovation thrives, and where excellence and humility coexist. We truly
believe the world will enrich itself when there is progress with purpose.
About Ashoka Library: The library team at Ashoka University focuses on enriching academic experience
through efficient information access and delivery. The library specializes in curating a diverse collection of
resources, both print & digital, to provide a conducive learning & research environment. It supports students with
remote (anywhere/ anytime/ any device) access to a vast array of digital books, journals, databases & reference
sources related to their coursework and beyond. The library aims at easing the learning process and fostering
holistic growth and meaningful contributions within the academic community.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Director of Library Services will be expected to provide leadership and manage, develop, and deploy the
resources of this multi-disciplinary research library. The incumbent will be responsible for strategic planning,
budgeting, collection development, designing of library services and adoption of the latest tools and technologies
to enhance user experience. The Director should have an eye on savings and optimization, copyright compliances
and eco friendly initiatives. The Director will lead a team of about 20 members, guide them and keep them motivated
through innovative management practices.
The following are specific points regarding the role and responsibilities: -
• The Director of Library Services shall familiarize themselves with the existing ‘Vision Document’ of the library
and the existing library policies, procedures, and practices and ensure implementation.
• Formulate fresh policies, practices and procedures as required.
• Work closely with the university leadership to prioritize and focus on future needs.
• Work closely with the Library Committee and the Heads of Academic Departments in building a strong library for
teaching and research.
• Prepare and administer annual budgets and bring in savings and optimization at each level.
• Negotiate contracts and subscriptions for library services, resources, and materials.
• Develop a strong collection of resources matching the academic and research requirements.
• Curate an intelligent mix of paid and free resources, both in print and digital formats.
• Design and execute a cost-efficient research support / publication system.
• Deploy the latest tools and technologies to ensure efficient services and faster delivery.
• Identify and recruit new talent and motivate and guide the existing team members.
• Engage students in co-curricular and literary activities and build a healthy relationship.
• Develop useful relations with other libraries for sharing resources and expertise.
• Bring in higher level copyright compliance and contribute to sustainability initiatives.
• Master’s degree in library & Information Science / Documentation with a minimum of 60 % marks and a consistently
good academic record.
• At least thirteen years’ experience as a Deputy Librarian in a University Library or eighteen years’ experience as
a College Librarian OR At least thirteen years’ experience at the Deputy Librarian level in a public library
or the library of a reputable organization servicing researchers or a wide community of users in need of
print and electronic documents and archival material. Evidence of innovative library service and organization
of published work.
• M Phil/PhD degree in Library Science/ Information Science/ Documentation/ Archives and Manuscript-Keeping
(the PhD degree must be awarded in the regular mode with external examiners and a viva voce)
• Teaching experience at the Associate Professor’s level at a university department of Library/ Information
Science for a minimum of three years
• Reputed fellowships (such as Commonwealth, Fulbright, IFLA, etc.)
or PG diploma in digital libraries /networking.
• An additional master’s degree in other subjects.
• Training and experience in computerized and automated library services
• Training and experience in \conservation and collection care.
Skills Required -
• Expertise in working with software for LMS, content management, discovery service and remote access.
• Good exposure to Digital Libraries, e-resources management, database searching and IPR practices.
• Leadership qualities with excellent communication & interpersonal skills.
• Sound understanding of the publishing world, Research data, transformative agreements and allied
• Good analytical ability & problem-solving skills.
Application Submission Process: -
* To ensure your candidacy receives the attention it deserves, kindly follow the application submission process
outlined below: Email your CV and cover letter to, < connect.hr at ashoka.edu.in>, ensuring the subject
line reads as follows: <Director – Library Services _Applicant Name >.
This will help us efficiently process your application. To ensure fairness and efficiency, please submit your
application by *October 10th 2023.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. We look forward to receiving your application as
we embark together on a remarkable journey of professional growth and development. Join our exceptional community
at Ashoka University, where excellence is nurtured, and aspirations are transformed into reality.