Types of Libraries
- There are three major types of libraries:
- Academic libraries i.e. School, colleges and universities.
- Public libraries i.e. District Library, State Library & National Library.
- Special libraries like as hospitals, corporations, museums, the military, private business, and the government.
- UNESCO formulated a Public Library Manifesto for member countries in 1949 and revised it in 1972. Later, in 1994, it prepared the Public Library Manifesto in cooperation with the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA).
- Sayaji Rao Gaekwad III, Maharaja of Baroda, was a great visionary, who pioneered the development of Public Library System in India as early as 1910.
- In 1951 the Delhi Public Library, was established by the Ministry of Education, Government of India in collaboration with UNESCO. Now it is being managed by Delhi Library Board.
- INDIAN STATES AND U.Ts. In India, there are 54,856 public libraries.